Tuesday, March 9, 2010

How to send Group Emails using BCC option

How to send Group Emails using BCC option
Hi everyone!
I try to send my students emails once a week. I use the BCC option so that the students feel that my message is just to them and I am being FERPA safe. (Not to mention it makes my life easier....I am always looking for shortcuts. :))
Here is how I use BCC in the grade book:
When I post their weekly discussion grades in the grade book I then will then take the following steps while I am in the grade book ....
1)Click on the names of all the students that got the full week's points.
2)Click on the email ICON and their names will then populate in the TO slot.
3) Copy and past those names into the BCC.
4) Then erase all of the names from the TO slot.
4) Then I type in jenny.grade into the TO slot.
5) This email them will be delivered to the student with only their name in the address bar. They will assume you just sent this message to them and perhaps you had sent the same message to several students.
An example message I may send would be the following:
"Way to GO! You received the full 15 points for you discussion participation this week. Thank you for your valued contributions to our online classroom!"
I also do this with any students who have not participated or submitted any type of work. With BCC you maintain their privacy but can contact several students at one time.
I hope you find this tip helpful and if you need me to make a short video of it please just let m know!
Thank you,
Jennifer Harr, RN, MSN

No comments:

Post a Comment